“Beauty starts with smooth, healthy, glowing skin.” – Bobbi Brown
The first step to any flawless makeup application is the proper skin-care (and no this doesn’t mean I’m telling you to go out and buy a $400 moisturizer). A hydrated face will hold makeup longer and instantly give your makeup life (you won’t find any dry patches or flaking here).
What is really important is to assess your skin properly. ((AND just because you get oily around 3 p.m. in your t-zone does not mean your assessment is: VERY oily skin)). Even the most oily of skin types can sometimes be in need of hydration, and what that means is a drink of water for the face.
How to assess your skin- ask yourself and base your skincare off your answers:
- What does your skin feel like after you wash your face?
- What are you currently using?
- What time of the day do you see shine?
- What are your concerns?
- OILY SKIN: Choose a cleanser with salicylic acid, choose an oil-free lotion to over extra shine.
- SENSITIVE SKIN: Choose a milky cleanser such as Cetaphil that will not irritate your skin.
- COMBINATION SKIN: Choose a foaming cleanser for oily skin and a lightweight moisturizer.
- DRY SKIN: Choose nonsoap like creamy cleansers that don’t strip away protective oils.
Tone: A toner or tonic is a great way to condition your skin after cleansing. This is a great product to use because our skin loses it’s PH balance and with a great toner it begins to restore the skin leaving it soft and smooth.
Products I recommend are: Bobbi Brown’s Hydrating Face Tonic (with Cucumber, Chamomile, Licorice, Aloe Leaf and Lavender soothe and soften skin) and Elemis Soothing Apricot Toner (with Extracts of Apricot soothe and harmonise, giving rise to a fresh sensation and radiant appearance).
Hydrate: Hydration is KEY! Our skin is lacking water, even when you are considered “oily” your skin can still be dehydrated. Moisturizers make skin look and feel smoother by filling the spaces between the dry cels of the epidermis (the outer layer of the skin). They can also create a protective barrier on the skin that helps prevent water from escaping.
Products I recommend are: Bobbi Brown’s Hydrating Face Cream (enriched Mineral Water Blend hydrates, balances, and revives skin. Algae Extract moisturizes and conditions while caffeine soothes the skin) and Kate Somerville Nourish Daily Moisturizer (the purest form of Vitamin A, Retinyl Palmitate, helps soften and smooth).